What Is Adult Play Time?
Play time, for lack of a better word, is dedicated time to have childish like fun. Or fun with little to no responsibility. It’s something that we all had when we were little. Whether it was recess at school, or riding our bikes after our homework was finished. Back then we all had designated time to play when we were young. As I have gotten older, it is something that I have noticed is often forgotten about. It’s not made as a priority as an adult which is a shame.
Why Is Play Time Important?
This weekend I was reminded why play time is so important. I am someone who has always craved spontaneous fun. I’m someone who whether it’s a random dance party at home on a Tuesday or a wild night out craves fun and it’s what contributes to my happiness. Lately between working and traveling so much, I have not had much time for that type of fun. I get done with work and have to make time for the things I “need” to do like work out and see my family. What I forgot about was that time to play is important too. Saying play sounds childish and weird coming from a 20 something year old adult but that’s exactly what we all need. We all need to PLAY.
Four Benefits To Making Time To Play
- Helps keep you young – play time allows you time to reconnect with your young, simple self and who you were before their were project deadlines, rent and responsibility which is a very important part of who you are.
- Relieves stress – having fun releases endorphins and helps you produce your bodies natural “feel good” hormones.
- Stimulates creativity – stepping away from your work and doing something that makes you have fun and relax helps stimulate the creative part of you. Think about when you were younger and how playing always led to a new idea…or at least it did for me.
- Improves relationships – dedicating time to play, whether it is with friends or your significant other, helps connect you with others on a deeper level. To me, when I can have fun with someone and share memories and great experiences where we laughed and had an amazing time together bonds me with someone more than anything else.
4 Fun Activities You Can Do
- Go to a concert – Music is one of my favorite ways to play and have fun. I love music and the carefree energy of a live show. You should see me at Coachella!
- Go to a park – honestly swinging on swings doesn’t get old. I went the other week randomly after lunch in Malibu and it was so much fun.
- Go dancing – whether you’re a good dancer or not, dancing is such a fun activity.
- Have friends over for a game night – this is a simple activity that is so much fun.
What are the ways you play in your own life as an adult today? Let me know in the comments below! xx