Sweater and Shorts
A sweater and shorts — the ultimate California girl style. It’s easy, effortless and practical, especially in these transitional months. From other parts of the world it may seem like an unusual pairing, but if you’re looking to master the California girl style this is your look + it is super functional. Some days it’s not quite cold enough for a full sweater and pant look but it is also not warm enough for jean shorts and a tank top. Welcome to the grey area. Insert a sweater and shorts.
Sweater and Shorts Outfit Style Tips
I love being able to think of many ways I’d style one type of look and then get even more excited when I get to share that information with you. Since I am from California I have been to able to come up with so many ways to style a sweater and shorts type outfit. Here are three immediate styling tips I have come up with:
Best Boots For Sweater and Shorts Outfit
If you know me, you know I love boots. I always have. I even recently did a whole post on how to wear ankle boots. As far as wearing boots with a sweater and shorts, I think you can style this look three ways:
- the most obvious, safe and universally will look good way is with ankle boots. Ankle boots typically help elongate your leg which make them really flattering and they don’t distract much from the rest of the outfit which is why they’re such a consistently great option. My three go to brands for ankle boots for this type of a look are Steve Madden, Topshop and Chloe. These three brands always have great options and flattering options.
- next is knee high boots. This is not the most flattering style out of the three and definitely not the safest but if you do it right, it is epic. I love a western style boot with this type of an outfit. It is so unexpected and fun. My favorite brand for this type of a boot is Golden Goose. It is a super expensive brand but I have had mine since middle school and they look just as great today as they did now.
- lastly, over the knee boots. Over the knee boots are a bit sexier and edgier than the rest of these three but in the perfect way. They are a statement and can command a room + they dress up your look immediately. Put on a pair of high waisted jean shorts, a cropped seater and over the knee boots and you will have everyone’s attention. My favorite brand for over the knee boots is Stuart Weitzman. Stuart Weitzman kind of has become famous for the OTK boots and for a reason.
Opt For An Off The Shoulder Sweater Or Detailed Sweater
Wearing an off the shoulder sweater or detailed sweater really can change the feel of an entire outfit. It adds interest to the look, rather than it being so straight forward. The sweater can even be something as simple as a knit sweater, but the texture can add an interesting element to it. Anything to give your look more of a “fashion” feel. My top 5 sweaters of this moment:
- Pam and Gela off the shoulder sweatshirt
- Wildfox x Revolve pink
- Lovers + Friends bell cropped
- Line + Dot one shoulder ruffle
- Lovers + Friends rainbow
What Length Should The Short Be?
This is a question I think we all have asked ourselves and I think the answer is personal. We all have different taste and different bodies so not one answer is the “right” one. For me personally, I think the most flattering length is around where your finger tips are. I remember this was a rule in school and it is most appropriate for any where you go, plus I think it is most flattering. I think there is a thing as too long of shorts, but I also think there is a thing of too short of shorts. My favorite brands for denim shorts are Levi’s, Rag and Bone, and GRLFRND.
What do you think of this type of a look? Let me know in the comments below!