How To Detox Your Skin
New year, new
me skin? In honor of the new year, it only seemed right to start it off with a detox. Detoxing the good and bad of 2017, detoxing the endless food and drinks from holiday parties, and detoxing your skin, too. I believe part of a healthy self is healthy skin so I thought I’d share with you my tips and tricks on how I detox my skin.
Skin Detox Diet
I truly believe in treating your skin from the inside out. Of course, there are a few factors that play into skin quality — not all having to do with food at all — but you can tell a lot about the quality of someone’s skin based on what they’re putting into their body, or at least mine.
Best Foods For Clear, Glowing Skin
You’ll notice this diet below is filled with tons of healthy fats and nutrient rich foods. Whenever my skin is feeling dull or breaking out, I swear by these items below. Whenever I have followed this skin health plan, my skin cleared each time.
- Green Tea (not food but great to drink)
Foods To Avoid When Trying To Do A Skin Detox
- Excessive Processed Foods
- Coffee (sub green tea)
- Refined Sugar
Drinking water, and lots of it, is probably the number one thing that you can do to detox your skin and have healthy, clear, glowing skin. Drinking water not only helps improve digestion, but it also helps with circulation, and helps us process all the nutrients we take from the food we eat. 50%-70% of our bodies are made up of water so that alone is proof that we need to be drinking a ton of water daily. An easy rule to try to follow to remind you to drink water is to have eight, eight ounce cups of water a day.
If you know me, you know I am skincare obsessed! The five most important things I think you can add to routine when detoxing your skin is wash your face daily, exfoliate, use a detoxifying clay mask, use an at home high frequency face tool to kill bacteria, and hydrate.
- Face Wash – sometimes using a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil is the best most simple way to cleanse your skin without overdoing it.
- Exfoliate – Dr. Dennis Gross makes my absolute favorite peel pads. They work so well, you get visible results, and you don’t actually peel from them.
- Clay Mask – I’ve been using this Dermalogica mask since 9th grade. I have tried so many masks, but this one is just so consistent and reliable.
- High Frequency Face Tool – This high frequency face tool from Amazon is life changing. It is amazing for killing bacteria, helps reduce pimples faster, and can help reduce wrinkles as well. Also, I used to get rashes around my eyebrows after waxing, and now I use this each time after and never break out.
- Hydrate – staying hydrated is so important to having glowing, youthful skin. You’ve probably heard me talk about this Origins moisturizer a thousand times but this and the La Mer moisturizer are my absolute favorites.
- For sensitive skin, also check out this post for sensitive skin products.
Tea For Detoxing Your Skin
As you saw above in my what to eat and what not eat section, I mentioned that tea is an amazing addition to your diet for life and especially while on a detox. While all tea’s are great, there are some tea’s that are especially amazing for targeting improved skin health.
- Green Tea – green tea is known for reducing inflammation, has anti aging properties and helps internally protect sun damage.
- Spearmint – spearmint tea can help improve hormonal imbalances which can lead to acne.
- Hibiscus – hibiscus is high in vitamins C, A, B, Zinc and Iron, and has natural omega-3 fatty acids which are great for healthy and glowing, skin, nails and hair.
- Rooibos – rooibos doesn’t taste amazing in my opinion, but it has high levels of antioxidants and zinc which are especially great for anti-aging.
Everyone’s face deserves a break from make up every once in a while. I personally try to wear no make up during the week if I don’t have any meetings and just let my skin breathe. I also understand needing to see people and looking more put together. My 3 favorite make up brands for when I’m detoxing are L’Oreal, Benefit, and Bare Minerals. Bare Minerals is great because it is a mineral based make up which is makes it easier for your skin to breathe but I also have had great results with L’Oreal and Benefit. I find them both to be thin enough where you’re not clogging your pores and I’ve never broken out or felt dry from any of these brands.
Skin Detox Supplements
Taking supplements is so important for your skin and overall health. This past year I started regularly taking supplements for the first time ever and I have seen such great results.
My Daily Supplements
- Probiotic – probiotics are so important to take for gut health and skin health. They help aid in digestion in all areas and keep you healthy from the inside out.
What Vitamin I’m Adding Into My Routine This Year
- Fish Oil – I recently bought this fish oil on Amazon which came highly recommended and I’m excited to add this into my vitamin routine this year. Fish oil is great for hydration and inflammation.
Skin Detox Tips
Lastly, in a more general way, other great ways to detox your skin naturally are by taking steamy showers, going running, and doing hot yoga. What are some of your favorite ways to detox your skin? Let me know if the comments below! xx